Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaglebone Black
Ok all you Beagle owners, I'm sorry its an old board but tbh I wasn't very impressed when I 1st bought it, aside from having eMMC on it, its a really slow and tired board, at least for graphics, I'm sure its still quite awesome for maker projects with so many I/O options on it.

But I've fired up my old one, now that I have a bit more info around me..with only a single core 1Ghz system with "3D acceleration" I'm not expecting too much here.
But this is a popular board and I'm sure some of you have them.. so lets see how it does. (After a long wait for an update to occur)
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

yeah, no, need to update the OS to something a bit more modern and see what happens.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Yeah, Beagleboard.org now has a version of Debian for the BeagleBone boards. I have a few of these as well as a BeagelBone Blue that I am using for learning ROS. They are a different animal than the Raspberry Pi, but I see them accomplishing separate purposes. The issue with the Pi is that is a closed source architecture so you could not take that same platform, outside of using the whole board, and use it in a custom product. The BeagleBone on the other hand is open source and you could take the same AM335x MCU and use it in a shippable product. They have been a bit slow with keeping up with the Pi, but the Pi has the whole ecosystem around it that is tough to match from other vendors. Sort of like Arduino. Plus the $35 USD price tag for the Pi is more attractive for folks. The BB Blue I have goes for twice that amount but it does have a full compliment of Robotic interfaces on it.
It seems to be a very old version of Debain and no sign of any real OpenGLES graphic drivers, so it stays in the drawer of shame.

Its fine, as you point out its not at all like the Raspberry, it serves a totally different user base and for them its a tidy little board with lots of features, for me...with a focus on graphics, its not so hot. Big Grin But I tried
Brian Beuken

Hum. The BeagleBoard lists Debian 9.5 with the latest release and is the latest Debian release.
https://beagleboard.org/latest-images

The BeagleBone Black has a PowerVR SGX530 GPU and supports Direct Rendering Manager which should support OpenGL ES.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series_5

I've seen QT demonstrations with the BeagleBone Black as well as SDL so perhaps there is something that is not enabled in the OS.
hmmm ok I'll try it again with that latest image, the SGX530 was a nice GPU so would be good to get it up and running.
Brian Beuken