Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orange Pi One Plus
Tried again with Ubuntu desktop using linux 4.9 (I think thats ubuntu 18).....its just not performing, still seems to only have one core in operation, so whatever the issue is its low down in the kernal, I left it overnight to update...and came back to it the next day hoping to see a significant improvement, but its still slower than a ZXSpectrum.

Painful to see a promising low cost, high performance chip with a really nice 3.0 capable GPU, utterly ruined by useless software.This could have been an absolute winner with a $20 price and considerably more power than an RPi3B, but...1 core, running like treacle and no GPU makes it a non starter

Final try, using Armbian, which I always like to work with for non graphic systems, and it seems a lot quicker, on the updates/upgrades, but no graphic interface, however it is nippy and al cores seem to be running fine when I installed and built GLMark2-es2, but of course when I ran it, it wasn't able to create a canvas, so it didn't run...The older Ubuntu build is still the only one that even try's to produce a graphic system but no acceleration.

Really pissed with Orange for releasing this, potentially awesome board with no basically no functioning graphic systems.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Messages In This Thread
Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 01-31-2019, 10:29 AM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 01-31-2019, 12:12 PM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 01-31-2019, 12:19 PM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 01-31-2019, 02:45 PM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 02-01-2019, 11:06 AM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 02-24-2019, 09:16 PM
RE: Orange Pi One Plus - by Brian Beuken - 12-07-2019, 12:48 PM