Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nano Pi K1 Plus
ermmm well, I can get the Friendly core Xenial build to run, as a text only system, no drivers for OpenGLES

and Ubuntu version appears not to boot at all, though the green LED is pulsing, so it should be there

Armbian is still in test

So it looks like the K1plus has to stay in the drawer of shame for a month or 2 until the software is a little more stable, which is a shame, as I had high hopes for this H5 board.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Returning to this after a few months as promised. FriendlyElec don't list any new graphical version of a Linux, so its still up to use to find one, Ubuntu is no longer listed so it looks like they dropped that. Armbian is now available so I will probably try that if this fails...

I updated and upgraded the Friendly Core, and installed Xorg and openbox to hopefully give me an X11 window. Which previous attempts failed to do..
It is painfully slow to update though, which suggests maybe some issues with cpu speed, since the bulk of the updates are unpacking things this does go faster on a fast cpu....hmm we'll see, its also fair to say a slow SD card can delay an update by quite some amount and one or 2 of my SD's were bought on ebay for little cash, so perhaps.

Everything compiles and sends but it still can't make a window and the xhost+ option also fails so...onto Armbian.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

And....Armbian is also CLI only, and despite trying to get the libs down, I can't compile anything, getting lots of GCC errors which suggest it can't run C++11 (which it can)

So several hours of a Saturday morning trying to tempt the H5's hexacore GPU to life with no results, enough...back in the drawer of shame with it, it joins several other H5 boards which just don't seem to have the graphic libs available so are useless as game dev boards. Odd really as H6 boards are already on the market which do!
Brian Beuken