Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Raspberry Pi 4
Looks like there have been some changes in the development for the Video Core VC3 and V3D OpenGL drivers for the Pi, namely the Pi 4.   Apparently Eric Anholt who was originally developing the drivers is not longer doing so and Iago Toral and others have stepped to take over the task.  Seems like they are work hard to add more OpenGL ES features to the Pi such as OpenGL Logic Operations which was missing in the previous ports. The are also looking at OpenGL ES 3.1 and adding Compute Shaders to the Pi 4.

Sounds like the Pi 4 is heading more towards the Game Dev board that it was originally intended for:

I first seen the post here:
https://blog.adafruit.com/2019/10/18/vc4...spberrypi/

Original post is here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/vc4-and...an-update/
amazing news, fully opening the GPU will really make it a game coders dream (well that and an Nvidia 2080) can't wait to see the full results of this work.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

There was a new update to Raspbian and it seems that the OpenGL ES rev is showing 3.1.  I am not sure if this was showing this way before, but my STinkerboard is showing 3.0.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new-raspbian-update/

Code:
glxinfo |grep -i open
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1, 128 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.3.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 19.3.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 19.3.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
Cool I was expecting that when the compliance was announced, I'll have to start messing about with it
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Been having a few issues with overheating on my Pi4, not unexpected really as I tend to push the GPU quite hard,but I've also been experimenting with the CPU and multi threading it a lot which really piles in the degrees, getting well over 76-80deg and throttling back. I only had a simple passive cpu sized heat sink on it, so that was not really going to do the job once the cpu was pushed.
A nice 10euro aluminium case with twin fans though as really made a huge difference, even at max load and 4 full cores and GPU shifting full screen displays.. never goes above 55 now, mostly hovers around 50.
No need for some of the extreme cooling sytems I've seen, unless you're into all the see how I can cook my CPU overclocking nonsense. just a good heat conductive case and a quiet fan.

When its cooled well the beast is tamed and very reponsive
[Image: s-l500.jpg]
Brian Beuken