Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Pi5B
What is it with me and RockPi?

I really want to like these boards but always seem to find them lacking, often due to OS issues... but... anway, I took advantage of the preorder discount at the start of the year and today was finally allowed to make the order, technically with the discount the board came in at $79 so inside my $100 limit, but I did add ac ase and power supply then postage, so yeah it went over $100...

That said the Rocks are functional, just not the Raspberry beaters they ought to be, I pulled out my rockpi4 for a bit of testing the other week after a painful update and resetting of things, tbh it was no better so I put it back in the drawer... But maybe the 5B is the answer. (or the 6 or 9?)

So one of these should be hitting my desk around November....
On paper... as always, a beast... I hope it actually lives up to the promise a 2.4/1.8ghz octacore and a stunning  Mali G610MC4 GPU should make this a total monster.....also has NTU, but thats not something I know a lot about

Fingers crossed

https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/01/09/...-computer/
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

it has arrived

actually it arrived a few weeks ago when I just set off on my honeymoon,so its been waiting for me to pick up.

I will get it set up and report back soon.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

ok so Debian burned to SD with no issues, and it loaded and installed just fine, but...

the networking isn't working, I can't get it to connect to the internet, even though it is actually getting an ip address ok, and can be pinged from another system in the network, the pi itself isnt updating or pinging any external sites... Sadly I never did understand networking so I have posted a question on the Radxa forums to see if someone can help

but 1st look around with whats installed shows it to be a nippy little machine, except when accessing SD, which is a budget choice for me.. the unit is quite pricey at normal price and I only got it under 100 due to the preorder.

Im quite excited to try it properly in the coming week or 2
Brian Beuken

ah ok, so... internet issues appear to be related to the work server I was using at lunchtime, here at home its hooked up no problem

and.... yeah.... no gpu drivers...

dammit
Brian Beuken

I installed GLMark2-es2 and it gave a fantastic score of 587, that to me kinda suggests there are graphic drivers, but I don't really know... maybe...

and bloody hell, I got my massive project to build and run on it quite easily, not totally perfect, there's a few issues, but sure it worked. if  I wanted to spend a few days/week debugging I can probably get this working, but as the machine is very new and drivers are very immature, I won't, but I'll come back to this in a few months.

https://youtu.be/Zypsa6WgoQ4
Brian Beuken

and in fact the video issues were fixed quite quickly.... this is a beast of a machine, I love it...and its got graphic drivers but apparently not fully using the gpu, so future updates will eventually come that will improve that... but as it stands its a little faster than the Rpi4, and potentially a lot faster..

sadly also quite excpensive, so probably not the Pi beater they say it will be.
Brian Beuken