Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable OpenGL, for failed to add service error
A new thing I wasn't aware of, since my Raspberry Pi's don't have the experimental version of OpenGL activated.

If your pi is currently running with "full" OpenGL enabled, then the OpenGLES2.0 demos in the book and on the site will most likely fail to run, giving a failed to add service error.

The fix is simple, you need to have a totally fresh install of Raspbian before you start working on the book. (this is by far the best option)

or

You have to disable the OpenGL drivers. You can do this by opening a terminal and entering

sudo raspi-config

use your keyboard to select Advanced options, 
select GL Driver
and then use Legacy Original non-GL drivers

(if you have OpenGL drivers installed it will say disable GL drivers instead)

Once done you are back in OpenGLES2.0 mode, and all OpenGLES2.0 projects should now work fine.

There are work rounds to get OpenGL to work, but really I would avoid that, the projects are all designed on OpenGLES2.0 so best to use it.

Reading the Pi forums, there may be other causes for this error, but for Stretch, this seems the most likely.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Messages In This Thread
Disable OpenGL, for failed to add service error - by Brian Beuken - 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM