Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C++ Coding Magpi#66
So pleased you got it working, its very annoying when libs change, but it is how things work over time. Glad you got the 1st thing up and running, everything else should build on that, but if you get stuck let me know I'll dig out those old files and try them out.

Are you working on a Pi3 or Pi4 becuase again the Pi4 is different Big Grin
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

(09-30-2020, 12:33 PM)Brian Beuken Wrote: So pleased you got it working, its very annoying when libs change, but it is how things work over time. Glad you got the 1st thing up and running, everything else should build on that, but if you get stuck let me know I'll dig out those old files and try them out.

Are you working on a Pi3 or Pi4 becuase again the Pi4 is different Big Grin

Yes, it is really an uplifting feeling to see two triangles bounce around your screen!  Big Grin

I also have a Pi4, but use a Pi3 to play with your MagPi examples... I thought using a Pi3 would result in less obstacles for a newbe like myself. However, when I have more experience, I would try to port this to the Pi4. Though, I will probably wait until the Raspberry Foundation developed their 64 bit version of the OS. (I saw that one can run current 64 bit Linux distros on the Pi4. However, the 64bit advantage is more then destroyed by the lack of support of the GPU for graphics intensive applications... - because the graphics are then also computed by the CPU... And I would guess the libs will change quite a bit once again when this transition to 64 bit is done... )
yes, the sense of achievement is a very strong motivator, keep it up

The Pi4 is a little different but its possible to set it up the same, but indeed better to stick with the 3 until your comfort levels are high enough to attemmpt to use a few different systems.
The changes are annoying and can be a barrier for new coders, but the vast improvement in perfomance is well worth it, I am doing some new demos for the Pi4 to show what it can do.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Brian,
I would be interested in your demos for the Pi4, so please post them when they are available.

For the interested, I did push the changes I made to the MagPi Issue67 code to GitHub and have it on a branch for the time being.  This uses X11 so it would be interesting if there were a better way on the Pi4.
https://github.com/jomoengineer/magpi-is...11-changes

Personally, I am looking forward to the Vulkan additions to the Pi4 considering this seems to be more of the direction the market is going.
I'll be a while but I'll get to it...

not at all sure whats happening with Vulkan at teh moment, it might be a bit of a leap to expect drivers on the Rpi before they're even fully developed on mainstream boards.. That API is still bedding in.
Brian Beuken