Forums
Up core - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.scratchpadgames.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://www.scratchpadgames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other SBC's (http://www.scratchpadgames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Up core (/showthread.php?tid=101)

Pages: 1 2

Up core - Brian Beuken - 06-07-2018

The Up Core is the Up Squared's much smaller little brother,  but with an Intel® Atom™ x5-Z8350 Processor (2M Cache, up to 1.92 GHz) CPU with 64 bit architecture; Quad Core CPU. making it actually packing a lot more power.

It has a much smaller form factor than the Squared though, so you'l need an extension system as you only get one usb and 1 hdmi. There's lots of mini connectors for screens and things if you want to make a tablet or something. But to hook up to a network, either go wireless or use a usb with a network adapter.

That Atom CPU comes with integrated Intel graphics and should be able to outperform even the Squared....I say should because as hard as I tried I just couldn't get this board to function properly. Its software is no where near ready and I hit brick wall after brick wall trying to get it to boot up. Then when I did, it refused to compile anything... I'll come back to it soon, but for now, its a pretty neat board, the worlds smallest intel board, and has a lot of promise..but it stays in the drawer of shame till there's an update.
[Image: board-layout-white1.png?resize=1100%2C456]

RE: Up core - Brian Beuken - 02-02-2019

ok so coming back to this again, I'm in the process of doing a full update... Sadly my internet in my office is below par (which I kinda am ok with, it stops me browsing too much) so I'll leave it for a few hours to do its full update, then also do a bios update and see where we get.

There is also now a version of ubuntu for it which might be more stable than the ubilinux I installed at 1st which was all there was then.. I'll see how it performs after an update and get back to you.

Upgrades did nothing, its still hitting lots of roadblocks, I'll try Ubuntu and see if it has more luck

RE: Up core - jomoengineer - 02-02-2019

The Up boards looked interesting but seemed like an alternative when Intel dropped the Edison (Atom Processor) and Galileo. Those boards were never really fully cooked so I was surprised Intel was giving it another go with Up. I guess the Up Core is a bit of a downer.

its proving to be a bit of a turkey....can't get much out of it at all yet...will burn ubuntu to it and see what happens, but I'm not holding out hope.

The Up2 is however a beast of a machine even at the base level Celeron dual core, far faster than anything ARM, but also a lot more expensive.

RE: Up core - Brian Beuken - 02-03-2019

Ubuntu refused to install, total waste of effort... probably too late to send it back, I've had it in the draw for a while.

Oh well....Anyone wanna buy an Upcore SBC...dubious working ability?

RE: Up core - Brian Beuken - 03-01-2019

I've sent it back to Aaeon for a replacement...we'll see.

RE: Up core - Brian Beuken - 03-06-2019

Up/Aaeon have confirmed a fault on my returned board, so hopefully a replacement will be with me soon and I can finally put this puppy through its paces. I'm excited again.

RE: Up core - Brian Beuken - 03-15-2019

New board on the way...fingers crossed we can finally get thise little powerhouse of a board to show its stuff.

RE: Up core - Brian Beuken - 03-18-2019

Getting silly now.

got a new board today, no OS on it, and of course no matter what I do it does not install an OS.. giving a kernel panic unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

and it has a QC pass sticker on it...phhttt

Trying hard not to get stroppy on their support site...but really if you are going to admit a fault and replace a board, would it be too hard to check the new one before sending it???