Forums
Nano Pi Neo4 - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.scratchpadgames.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://www.scratchpadgames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other SBC's (http://www.scratchpadgames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Nano Pi Neo4 (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Nano Pi Neo4 - Brian Beuken - 10-17-2018

Yes, those lovely people at FriendlyArm are sending me one of thier little Rockchip beasts. I love the T4, and its basically the same chipset with less bits attached, so very much looking forward to seeing this in action.

Course I still don't think the drivers on the RK chip are fully working but in time we'll see how they work out.

RE: Nano Pi Neo4 - Brian Beuken - 10-24-2018

Awesome, its here, its tiny and cute, FriendlyArm even supplied me with an SD card for it, which should have an OS on it but sadly it was blank, oh well as very small thing to complain about when you are given a freebie.

It really is fantastically small, the heatsink makes it a bit chunkier but I'm a tad worried that there just isn't enough contact between the CPU and the sink. The usual sticky pad might have benefited from being a little thicker, or the cpu itself raised a little, as there are other chips on the board that stop the sink clamping right down on it.. We'll see soon.

Another tiny niggle, is the USB C cord is very short, only about 12 inches, not really long enough, but I have a few adaptors I can use and some 5amp power units to make sure its well supplied,

Ok so once I've burned Lubuntu to the SD, I'll get back to you

Big Grin

new OS in place, runs sweet, GLMark2 reports its as fast as the t4, and I had forgotten that the GPU was frame locked so in fact vbo and no vbo are always going to return 59fps

But running off screen it gives a very respectable 378 compared to the T4's 312, still below the tinkerboards 392, but OpenGLES3.2 Big Grin

Blistering speed, and impressive GPU in a tiny package with gigabit ether net and usb3 ports, this is a real contender for a Raspberry killer as far as graphic/game coding is concerned. For makers though the totally different GPIO isn't going to appeal to them unless there;s a specific build they need

Well that was very easy, installed libbullet-dev and ran as a t4 with different IP and all was good.

Like the T4 though it runs the demo a little slow, but that may be due to using a high res framebuffer in X11, I've not managed to quite work out how to use a smaller frame buffer resolution. It also showed a few minor glitches, so it needs a bit of work, maybe an update on the graphics.

But for a 1st time running the tests, its amazing.

Despite my fears too, the Heatsink is taking away the heat fine, its hot to the touch but not scorching so it seems to have enough contact for the job.

well thats interesting and confusing, since running it the 1st time, every glmark2 test since has come back with much worse results, even an update/upgrade did nothing, nor a return to the original image... its dropped down to 144... even when running from cold.

no clue what causes that, demo project however seems to run ok, in fact quite fast...its all a bit random.